Monday 30 December 2013

Spiral Dance - Faerie Ball


Miss V and I finally made it out to another Spiral Dance gig! It seems that a lot of their gigs have been clashing with other stuff, so we've not been able to get out as much as we have done in that past. Which in turn means that I haven't had much opportunity to practice shooting gigs.

In the lead up to this event Spiral Dance had a few dramas with venues, with previous venues either changing hands or not being available. Fortunately the owner of the old Chelsea Theatre came to the rescue and made the old theatre available. What an amazing venue. The Chelsea is one of the classical style theatres, with some elegant features scattered around, if someone were to look.




Prior to the start of the gig I was chatting to Rick who gave me the heads up that it was his last Adelaide gig with the band. Having taken very few photos of Rick that I'm happy with I thought I'd make the extra effort to focus on him during the course of the evening. On the whole I think I got a few decent shots, and more importantly I'm still improving when I get out there.



Near the end of the gig, there was talk of getting a group shot of the band and all the audience. And there I was holding a camera <gulp>. Eeek! Pressure time!  I usually avoid trying to do particular shots for people, since there's always the expectation that they'll work out.  Fortunately everything worked out and a half reasonable shot was the result which seems to have been fairly well received by the group (except one person who took to defacing it within minutes of me uploading it).


While taking this group shot I was chatting to the theatre owner who as it turns out is another Pentax owner. So we chatted cameras for a bit, before he left me to do my thing, while giving me permission to sit up in the balcony to take shots (under the proviso that I don't stand on the edge of the balcony..  I don't think there was ever any danger of me doing that! :o ).



This was a fun outing, not just from the point of view of seeing a great band, but for having the opportunity to photograph in a venue completely different to any where I'd previously shot before. Hopefully they return there soon!  




   


No comments:

Post a Comment