Wednesday 30 October 2013

Bike SA Annual Tour - Day 4

Rest Day - 23rd October 2013

Today is our rest day.

We're staying at the Western KI caravan park for the day and a second night which provides a nice break from the usual routine.  For some the rest day meant heading out for some sightseeing, for others just relaxing around camp and taking care of some chores (like drying out clothes and making sure that phone, tablet and power supply batteries are charged). Crawling out of the tent for the first time this morning, I saw a kangaroo browsing amongst the tents, and then later a duck.. pretty cool :)

As it's a rest day, there was no real hurry in the morning to take the tent down or anything. Breakfast was a big serve of bacon and eggs and baked beans. Sometimes I wonder about the logic behind serving beans to groups that will be spending a lot of time in close proximity.

Entrance to Flinder Chase National Park
For me, I'd decided to remain in camp and do a spot of bike cleaning and generally relax about camp. Miss V was fairly keen to get out, so she went for a cruise to the Flinders Chase Visitors centre. On returning Miss V told me that it was a pretty cruisy 14 km ride, so I decided to take her lead and head out while she took in a bus tour. While I was getting dressed the sun was out and things felt toasty warm, so I decided to forgo the arm and leg warmers. By the time I'd ridden a few kilometres down the road and felt the cold breeze I really wish I'd rugged up a bit more. The ride was fairly cruisy through some pretty country. The Flinders Chase Visitors Centre had some good information about the island and its geological history. Well worth the trip there.


View up the West End Highway 
For the ride back I was blessed with a tail wind, so I could get a decent run back to the campsite. Some light showers cooled things, but I managed to get home before any heavy rain set in.

Being a shorter day tomorrow, we're booked in to do a tour of Kelly Hill Caves on route, so that should be a lot of fun.

While I was cleaning the bike, I found that I'd dropped a chain ring bolt. While probably not critical, I took the opportunity to see Ian from Escape Goat Adventures to get a replacement. To my surprise, he had one for me..  nice and cheap five dollar fix that should give me a little peace of mind while out on the road tomorrow. We still seem to be struggling to keep all parts of the tent secure, but hopefully it can withstand any weather thrown at it for another night.

Dinner was a chicken sausage and some grilled ham with sticky date pudding for dessert. Yum!

Strava data

No comments:

Post a Comment